This years’ Steptember campaign is underway and Plymouth City Council are offering a free customised map of the area around your workplace, which includes five and ten minute walking zones marked as circles around your location. The map is designed to encourage employees to walk or cycle to work, by showing them how quick it can be to get there by travelling actively. Not just for September, but all year round!
They also encourage staff to take a walk during their lunch or break time and increase their daily steps. Walking is a fantastic way to keep active and maintain a healthy heart as it is fun, flexible and free. Some benefits of walking include;
- Improve performance of the heart, lungs and circulation
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and strokes, Type 2 diabetes and certain cancers
- Improve mood, reduce anxiety, aid sleep and improve self-image
- Improves wellbeing and helps fight stress and depression
- Walking in a group is a sociable activity that can help improve mental health and overcome feelings of isolation
- Spending time in the outdoors and in contact with the natural environment can have a positive effect on your mood.
The map can be added to your company website or printed out for staff and folded up to an easy pocket size, and would make an ideal addition starter packs for new staff, as well as being promoted to existing staff.
Please contact the team if you are interested in the free customised map, or to discuss an event so we can chat to you about how to be involved with Plymotion at Your Workplace scheme.
If you are interested to take part in our Workplace Walking Challenge, please visit the page to find out more about the next or current challenge taking place in Plymouth.