|CASSPLUS is a charity that delivers advice and support from Magistrates’ Courts in parts of Devon and Cornwall; our main, full time service is located in Plymouth.|
Originally established to work with low level offenders and their families, we have been operating for 15 years and understand the criminal justice landscape. Our aim is to divert people away from criminal justice and towards happy and healthy lives.
At its most basic level we help people to navigate the criminal justice system, especially important for those who are ‘first timers’ at court. We provide on-site advice and support for a complex range of issues presented by our clients; homelessness, debt and benefits, mental health, substance misuse, domestic abuse, education and employment, etc. We are a strong networking agency and know our local providers – we will triage client needs and then provide structured and supported signposting to local partners who deliver specialist services within the City.
Local staff manage a team of volunteers to support those coming through courts and we have a strong record of working with volunteers who have all helped to shape who we are today. We were proud to receive the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service in 2017.
Our commitment to volunteers are to;
• promote personal development through internal and external programmes of learning
• help build your confidence
• help develop your CV to support pathways into employment
• help you ‘give back’ to communities.
The biggest skills that you can bring to us are;
• your genuine interest in ‘our world’
• your willingness to learn and to share your learning with others
• a positive attitude to working with vulnerable people.
Does this sound like something you’d love to be involved in?
See other opportunities