“Age UK Plymouth exists to care for and work with older people and their carers in and around the City of Plymouth to improve their quality of life through the promotion of choice, opportunity and independence.“
We are looking for someone to volunteer at our reception desk within our Mount Gould centre. This role will also include administration duties. We get many calls and visitors each day so we are looking for someone who has reception or office experience. At Age UK Plymouth we offer a range of services to the older people in Plymouth in order to encourage them to love later life.
What skills does a Reception/Administrator Volunteer need?
A Reception/Administrator volunteer needs:
- A friendly, approachable manner
- Empathy with older people
- Enjoy talking to older people and a cheerful telephone manner
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good communication skills – Verbal and written
- Reliability and trustworthiness
- Willingness to attend induction and undertake training appropriate to the role
- Experience in busy environments
If you feel you have, or could develop with training and support, the above skills we would welcome your application. If you feel unsure and would like to ask any questions, then please call us on 01752 256020 and ask for the volunteer department.
What training do we provide?
Successful applicants would need to undergo a series of training sessions regarding the type of enquiries we get on a daily basis and all about Age UK Plymouth. These sessions are mostly delivered via e-learning and can therefore be completed remotely. At the end of the initial training, you will be “buddied” with an experienced volunteer or staff member.
How much time do we expect you to give?
Once trained, we would ask that you commit to at least a morning (9-12.30pm) or an afternoon (12.30-4pm) on a Monday and/or Thursday. From time to time it may be useful to attend team meetings and additional training days to keep up to date with new legislation.
What is our commitment to you?
- We will provide initial and ongoing training to help you develop your knowledge and skills.
- We will continue to support you in your role, providing information and advice as necessary.
- We will discuss with you any problems you may have with your role.
- We will discuss with you any concerns we may have about the way you carry out your role.
- We will reimburse reasonable, approved out of pocket expenses.
What is the next step?
Complete and return the volunteer application form with the names of 2 referees, to Age UK Plymouth. Application forms will then be used to select suitable applicants to interview.